Sunday, August 2, 2009

Festival

I make no claims to be any form of bourgeois beyond my world view, yet it pains me to see other such neolithic intellectuals pouring over their bloated self image, speaking volumes of nothing but hot air over something they haven't the capacity or drive to appreciate.

When a man of at least meager intelligence goes to see a film, even an artistic piece such that independent films often strive to become, he first takes from the media an idea. He takes the meaning, or at the very least a feeling. When the overly pretentious and pompous elitists whom have no proper claim to their self imposed title of intellectual view such a piece, the first thing they take from it is the chance to tear at someone else's soul for the purpose of raising their own already inflated ego.

Do not take me for anything but an elitist myself, nor would I ever claim to be anything less than a horribly abrasive and adversarial individual in most such situations, but theres something simply devastating about hearing a middle aged white man, relatively well dressed, spurt out something as horribly vapid and trite as "While I did find the film extremely visceral, I wasn't scared. I don't get scared often."

However unintelligible this rant is compared to my usual prose, it had to be said, and I apologize for offending any discerning pallets. I try to save being extremely visceral for those whom it won't scare away.