Saturday, August 8, 2009

Ataraxic

Today, I would like to talk about one of my favorite conditions: Ataraxia.

I'd like to, but that's too much effort.

Instead, I'd like to talk about fat people. Not what you think, I'm sure.

Take your average media outlet, and look at the social disabilities shown. There will be successful sociopaths, and defects from slight malformation to total impairment. The blind, deaf and dumb are all shown, people in wheelchairs and people with learning disabilities. These are representations of minorities in society that are seen as worthy of protection, having ailments that they cannot change and which genuinely cause them pain that, given the chance, they could repair.

This has done great things for their welfare at large, normalizing the conditions and helping to make them accepted among their less... interesting peers. Fine, cool. Let them have that. I see little issue in trying to balance out the element of chance in society.

However, obesity and other extreme body mass conditions are shown right along side this. Spit as many reports and studies you want at me telling me that it can be glandular and it's sometimes genetic and whatever other excuses you can muster. Studies also show that Aspartame is perfectly safe, doesn't mean I buy it *also diet pop is gross*. Point being, you can choose not to be fat. It may be harder for some than others, but oh well. Life is hard some times. It's hard for me to sleep at night, doesn't mean I'm going to stand and watch it happen.

All I have to say to corroborate this view in terms of factual backing is this: The nation with the highest rate of obesity also, generally speaking, consumes a diet very similar to the diets of hunting tribes. Heavy in protein, fat, and with large servings. However, this society requires far from the hunters level of exercise along with the diet. In short: They eat like athletes but act like tribal elders. They consume more than they create, and much more than they need simply because they can.

That being said, another extreme sect, although a much smaller portion, are dangerously thin, underweight. This is just as bad. Seeing themselves awash in a sea of corpulence they strive to be the pristine opposition. Instead of heart attacks, difficulty breathing, and trouble fitting through the already over sized buildings and apparatuses society has fashioned, they have trouble keeping aloft for the day, avoiding illness, and generally keeping in one piece.

Point being, why should we continue to enable this activity, encourage it through accommodation. It's a poor, poor way to deal with anything, much less an issue primarily prevented due to body image and a sense of shame. You wouldn't tell a kleptomaniac it was acceptable because he couldn't help it, why tell it to a fat man.

I don't understand. Enlighten me, please.

I'd like to point out, to clarify, that I am far from an ideal athlete. In fact, I conform more to the nerdy desk jockey body type than anything, but I understand the difference between not perfect and not healthy, and so should the people in danger.