Thursday, September 10, 2009

Hier apparant

It becomes apparent, as I trudge on, that no matter how much I try to avoid it, I am a snarky, irreverent, and overall mean sarcastic person. Often, this is in a cruel way. It's not intentionally, that is, not intentionally hurtful. I am being critical, I am being mean, I am even being overly critical despite the fact that I recognize many of my peers mistakes as flaws I myself posses.

However, having said that, I am wholly unable to resist being as I am. I jump at every opportunity to be verbose and scathing. I salivate at the chance for a good argument, and rarely admit when I arm wrong. In short, I am a douche bag when it comes to issues I feel strongly about, or when I find someone to be doing something decidedly nonconstructive or even destructive to themselves or others.

I do not apologize, I am what I am, and I am damned useful in a forum, or even in a quiet discussion because I ensure that even if nothing is decided, new views are seen by all, myself included. I have no problem defending a view I find completely false if the only agent crying for that side of the story is less than confident or less than verbose with public speaking.

I believe in thought, that all sides of an argument should be explored, unbiased. I have the privilege of being part of an organization that controls a large part of many young mens lives, and I have never once stood before the council and said anything with the intention of changing the minds of my peers without addressing both sides of the conflict, in some small way. I refuse to allow simple dismissal of issues I know to be more complicated than black and white. It is a rare trait, I find. Not impartiality, I know several people goodly enough to possess a true lack of bias, albeit my friends tend to be the administrative and academic elite, at least when it comes to debate and organization. What I find rare is the willingness to step into another mans shoes and kick an overly zealous and underly appreciative rival in the shin.

It is a sad, sad thing when something so important as a vote of confidence can nearly be decided by one grating voice springing up in triumphant fury about an issue that, in the overall scope of the group, means about as much as a twelve year olds take on foreign policy, especially when that person goes unopposed and nearly brings the cause full circle for nothing but lack of informed voters in the rest of the group, or apathy, or even popularity and complacence.

But enough with the rambling, the point is this. One should never be afraid to stand up and fight for a cause, if for no other reason, than that they see injustice in it, even if they don't believe in it themselves. So long as you retain a high sense of honor, and you work towards the betterment of those involved, playing devils advocate can be the best gift to a divine resolution.