Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Dig Dig, Chop Chop

Knowing full well the rewards associated with labor and study, it seems odd that one would still feel the unending drive to avoid such things. A drive to not only avoid the days work, but to spend the time set aside for it doing nothing at all. Lazing about watching television or pounding some other form of media dribble into ones skull rather than the equally mindless tasks facing them at work.

Why be mindless without reward? Is there some benefit I cannot comprehend to wasting time? Logically, there is nothing. Of course, what fun would the world be if everything worked logically.

One could argue that rest and relaxation can only be attained when one is not constrained by time and task, or that simple having "alone time" helps in rejuvenating the being mind and body. I say it's more likely due to a horrible urge towards wonky survival traits, wherein he who does the least and survives is, in theory, the most important, for he is made to do little to be of use to the tribe.

This is, of course, preposterous, as a vagrant may do nothing and survive, but there is something to be said in avoiding work to excess. Is the man with a penthouse full of furs really any happier than his proletariat counterpart whom derives his pleasure from lazing about on his couch watching his fun size television?

Probably, but for the sake of argument, one avoids that assumption. At least if one is in a position without a penthouse of furs. Now if you'll excuse me, I must drudge on to my own mindless task in a few hours, robbing me of my chance for late night meanderings if I want to maintain the last shred of sanity I've still got hold of.

I also need to replace the drivers side door on my Porsche.